|The first V-2 fired in combat explodes in a Paris suburb; the second strikes a London suburb a few hours later.
Mission 611: 1,070 bombers and 349 fighters are dispatched to hit industrial targets in the Mainz and Ludwigshafen, Germany area; attacks were visual at the primary targets; 10 bombers are lost:
1. 348 of 384 B-17s attack the Ludwigshafen/Opau oil refinery; 5 B-17s are lost, 2 damaged beyond repair and 185 damaged; 11 airmen are KIA, 15 WIA and 45 MIA. Escort is provided by 88 of 95 P-51s without loss.
2. 247 of 300 B-24s hit Karlsruhe marshaling yard; 1 hits a secondary target at Ludwigshafen; 4 B-24s are lost and 92 damaged; 7 airmen are KIA, 9 WIA and 29 MIA. Escort is provided by 82 of 93 P-51s; 1 P-51 is damaged beyond repair.
3. 386 B-17s are dispatched to hit an armored vehicle factory at Gustavsburg (167) and oil depot at Kassel (166); 23 others hit targets of opportunity; 1 B-17 is lost, 1 damaged beyond repair and 132 damaged; 3 airmen are WIA and 9 MIA. Escort is provided by 144 of 161 P-51s without loss.
Mission 615: 7 of 8 B-17s drop leaflets in the Low Countries, France and Germany during the night.
VIII Fighter Command fighter missions:
1. 160 P-38s strafe and bomb rail transportation E of the Rhine River; they claim 7-0-1 aircraft on the ground.
2. 194 P-47s and P-51s strafe targets in the Heidelberg-Darmstadt-Wurzburg and Frankfurt/Main-Koblenz areas; 1 P-47 and 1 P-51 are lost and 9 P-47s and 4 P-51s are damaged; 1 pilot is WIA and 2 MIA.
A C-47 flies a CARPETBAGGER mission in France.
110 B-24s fly TRUCKIN mission to Orleans/Bricy Airfield, France.