The Eighth Air Force Historical Society

Eighth Air Force logo
Maps
  • There are a minimum of four maps on this page - scroll down to view.
  • Use controls in upper left and right corners of each map to zoom, scroll, change view, etc
  • Click 'View Larger Map' for full-size window map
  • Close this tab to return to previous page.
Maps by Google Maps User API

Target: FRIEDRICHSHAFEN GERMANY Airfield (98 aircraft) - (47.6715, 9.51756)

Construction began in 1913 on a site in the vicinity of the production site of the Zeppelin airships to train air crews. The hangar was completed 1915. The first airship was made ​

here LZ 41 (L11) also in 1915. Land-based aircraft mere also produced at nearby Manzell and transported through the street to the airfield where they were reassembled and test flown. A new airship hangar was built in 1918 - which can still be seen today. The security detachment guarding the hangar was commanded by Captain Erwin Rommel. The last L?wental Zeppelin airship, the LZ 114 (L72), left in June 1920, to be sent to France as reparations. In 1924, Dornier moved in. The first scheduled flights of Lufthansa occurred here in 1929. In 1930, the new airships LZ 127 Graf Zeppelin and LZ 129 Hindenburg were built. In 1945, French troops occupied the airport.

from: http://www.fly-away.de/unternehmen-flughafen/chronik.html

CONTINENTAL REGIONAL
LOCAL SATELLITE

Other Related Documents:


Copyright © 2019 - 8th Air Force Historical Society - Contact Us