Construction began in 1936. Some members of the Condor Legion from this base saw action in the Spanish Civil War (1937 - 1939), specifically specialists in supply, logistics, and maintenance. In 1938/39, the base was used to store captured material from the occupied territories. During the war year, the airfield served as a maintenance site for a variety of aircraft as well as an anti-aircraft repair shop and an armory. On 11 April 1945 US forces occupied the field. It was transferred to the Soviets in July 1945.