Built as a civilian airfield in 1925, the military took over in 1934 and built five hangars, barracks and a rail siding from the Merseburg Elisabethhohe station. The airport was planned as a protective installation for the industrial works of LEUNA, the chemical estate at the city of B?hlen and others under construction. Part of the airfield was a Junkers assembly site called the Junkers-Stamme-Werke. After being captured by US forces at the end of the war, the Soviets took over in summer 1945 and used the base during the Cold War. Today it is an aviation museum.