In 1933, Neubrandenburg was a garrison town withl Panzer barracks, armaments factories. Camouflaged construction of a new airbase began in 1934. From 1939 through 1944, the air base is home to a flying school. In 1940, aircraft assembly facilities are built by Focke-Wulf and Arado. Soviet troop occupied the field 29 April 1945. 1946-47 parts of the airport buildings were demolished and used as building material for new buildings in the surrounding communities.