The Eighth Air Force Historical Society

Eighth Air Force logo
Finding Individual Veterans

FIRST AND FOREMOST, we want to help you find the information regarding your loved one that served in WWII.
That is why we have assembled the following information and ways to find the information you are looking for.
While we have found many resources to find answers to your questions, we are sorry that we not able to research
all of the individual requests we receive.

IF YOU KNOW THE BOMB OR FIGHTER GROUP, there are historians at these two places that will help you with your research:

  1. Begin your search questions at the site:
  2. Click on the Group Number Range:   [1 to 49], [50 to 99], [100 to 199], [300 to 399], [400 to 499] [500 to 599]  [800+]
    These web sites and forums contain specialized group historians that will help you find the data you need for your research.

  3. Check to see if there is a website for that Bomb/Fighter Group: CLICK HERE
    Many of the active group websites have historians that will help you.

  1. Family members is good place to start your research. Gather all the information you can, such as letters, stories,
    newspaper clippings, grave markers, etc. Knowing the person's army serial number, bomb/fighter group affiliation,
    hometown, date of birth and place and date of death are important for continued research.

  2. Check the records at the National Archivesí on-line database at
  3. Hometown newspapers often listed when they graduated from boot camp, completed training phases, were promoted,
    sometimes even in action overseas. Most certainly if MIA or KIA will be listed in their local newspaper.

  4. Check with The American Air Museum in Duxford, England by Clicking here. They have the largest database of 8thAAF personnel.

  5. Another great site for deceased veterans is Often you find their WWII history too.
  6. If the veteran you are searching for was killed in action and is still buried overseas then they should be
    listed at American Battle Monuments Commission WWII Honor Roll

  7. If your veteran is buried in a national cemetery then check the Department of Veterans Affairs National Cemetery Administration
    Nationwide Gravesite Locator

  8. Try and search by name, by Army Serial Number or name and serial number.

  9. If you know nothing, go to the WWII Army Enlistment Records  There you can find their serial number, residence state, etc.

  10. If you are a military veteran, or Next of kin of a deceased, former member of the military can Request Military Service Records
    online, or by US Mail, or by fax. Otherwise use the Military Record Requests Using Standard Form 180 (SF-180)

  11. If you find or have the Army Serial Number then go to Military Service Records for info on how to request DD-214 discharge
    documents from St. Louis.

  12. If he was a POW, go to the World War II Prisoners of War Data File This will give date of capture and where he was held.
    To learn about the different Stalag Lufts in Europe, go to

  13. If you know the plane name and if it was a B-24, it might be listed at This might also give the bomb group.

  14. MIAs never found or recovered can be found at Service Personnel Not Recovered



National Personnel Records Center, Military Personnel Records: This is where you obtain Service Records (201 file) located in St. Louis.
Note that a fire in 1973 destroyed many records, nearly 80% of them. You'll need their Standard Form 180 and an understanding of the
Privacy Act of 1974.

With access to a printer and the Adobe Acrobat Reader software available below, you may download and print a copy of the
Standard Form 180 - Request Pertaining to Military Records. The front and back of the form are separate files which
must be downloaded separately. NOTE: Please download both sides of the form as the back of the form contains important
mailing addresses and instructions.

The Standard Form 180 is formatted for legal size paper (8.5" X 14"), please print that way if your printer
can accomodate. If your printer can only print on letter size paper (8.5" X 11"), select "shrink to fit" when the Adobe Acrobat Reader
"Print" dialog box appears.

Standard Form 180            FREE Adobe Acrobat .PDF Reader

Mailing address for Military Personnel Records
National Personnel Records Center
Military Personnel Records
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100

Form for the 293 file, Individual Deceased Personnel File: If the individual you are researching was killed in action, the disinterment file will have information about the identification and reburial process. The U.S. Total Army Personnel Command handles these requests.

Mailing address for Individual Deceased Personnel File

Army Human Resources Command
200 Stovall Street
Alexandria, Virginia 22332

National Archives: MACR's, KU-Reports, Tactical Mission Summaries, replies may take two to four months. Records pertaining to the military in W.W.II are maintained at National Archives at College Park, MD (Archives II).

Mailing address for MACR'S,KU Reports and Tactical Mission Summaries.

National Archives and Records Administration
Textual Reference Branch
8601 Adelphi Road
College Park, MD 20740-6001
Phone 301-713-7250

Air Force Historical Research Agency (AFHRA) : Located at Maxwell AFB Alabama. A great potential source for unit information and for purchasing microfilm records. Replies may take five to six months, but the wait is well worth it.

Mailing address for unit information and for purchasing microfilm records

600 Chennault Circle
Maxwell AFB, Alabama 36112-6424
Phone (334) 953-2437 FAX (334) 953-4096

Air Force History Support Office (AFHSO): Located at Bolling Air Force Base, Washington, D.C. In conjunction with the Air Force Historical Research Agency (AFHRA) at Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama, which is the primary repository of historical information, the office responds to requests for information from private organizations, government agencies, and the general public.

Mailing address for the Air Force Historical Research Agency (AFHRA)

Reference and Analysis Division
200 McChord Street, Box 94
Bolling AFB, DC 20332-1111
Phone 202-404-2261

Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Phone (800) 827-1000: The VA has procedures to help you find surviving service members.

OTHER USEFUL RESEARCH WEB SITES request documents or information from AFHRA Penn state Special Collections Library; the 8th Air Force Collection .National Archivesí on-line database of WWII enlistment records and POW records. Information for researchers about the National Archives at College Park, MD, including how to contact the staff Very helpful researcher forum plus databases for MACRs, units, Military Occupational Specialties, and a dictionary of terms used in WWII. Database of all persons buried in a national or state veterans cemetery. Can be used to determine if there was a group burial. Web site of the American Battle Monuments Commission, including information on all US military cemeteries overseas and a database of burial listings Database of Aircraft Accident Reports, searchable by pilotís name, date, location, aircraft serial number, group, squadron, and home base Tour schedule for the Collings Foundationís B-24 and B-17 Foreign aircraft that landed in Ireland 1939-1946 Association for Adopting of Graves at the Netherlands American Cemetery in Margrate, The Netherlands American Ex-Prisoners of War Organization Training manuals, postcards, and documents about the U.S.A.A.F. in WWII. Bomb Group call signs Color photos of the U.S.A.A.F in WWII about Stalag Luft I, including a prisoner roster For family members and friends of 2nd Air Division veterans Web site of the 392nd Bomb Group, but also has a comprehensive section on POW camps

POW Stalag Luft 4.   Greg Hatton's reseach on Stalag Luft 4

Donít overlook internet searches by Airplane Serial Number or Name; Group or Squadron number; specific POW camp; or individualís name.